Learning Outcomes :
- Collect and critically analyse research data and to use appropriate engineering
analysis tools in tackling unfamiliar problems, by the appropriate innovation, user
adaptation of engineering analytical methods.
- Work with information that maybe incomplete or uncertain, quantify the effect of this on the Engineering design/analysis/simulation and, where appropriate, use
theory or experimental research to mitigate deficiencies.
There are two parts for Assessment
Part 1 : Technical research paper, 3pages(~2500words), following given template,
- You need to produce a technical research paper, using appropriate style and contents. The topics need to be agreed with tutor beforehand.
Part 2 : Data analysis using software tools
- You’ll be using the statistic software(SPSS) to analysis the data given by the tutor,
by adapting different methods. You’ll also need to write a short report(~500words)
to outline your personal learnings and reflections
1. Statistics using frequencies and descriptives:
You manage a team that sells computer hardware to software development companies. At each company, your representatives have a primary contact. You have categorized these contacts by the department of the company in which they work (Development, Computer Services, Finance, Other, Don’t Know).
Using the give data (contacts.sav), you need to perform statistical analysis, with summaries of individual variables. The summaries aim to:
• Determining “typical” values of the variables. What values occur most often? What range of values are you likely to see?
Checking the assumptions for statistical procedures. Do you have enough observations? For each variable, is the observed distribution of values adequate?
• Checking the quality of the data. Are there missing or mis-entered values? Are there values that should be recoded?
2. Data analysis with distributions
A manufacturing firm uses silver nitride to create ceramic bearings, which must resist temperatures of 1500 degrees centigrade or higher. The heat resistance of a standard alloy is known to be normally distributed. However, a new premium alloy is under test, and its distribution is unknown.
Using the given data (ceramics.sav), you need to follow the explore procedure to find if the premium alloy has a different distribution from the standard alloy.
3. Data T-test:
The One-Sample T Test procedure:
• Tests the difference between a sample mean and a known or hypothesized value
• Allows vou to specify the level of confidence for the difference
• Produces a table of descriptive statistics for each test variable
4. Data ANOVA analysis:
Performing one-way ANOVA, and contrast between means in response to customer requests, an electronics firm is developing a new DVD player. Using a prototype, the marketing team has collected focus group data. ANOVA is being used to discover if consumers of various ages rated the design differently.
Using the given data (ANOVA_dvd player.sav): you need to perform a one-way ANOVA test to produce a contrast-test table to illustrate the variance of different group.