Word Count : 2500 words
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the principles, analytical techniques, tool kits and methods in
health intelligence, and their application to improving public health practice.
- Critically assess and synthesise the role of public health intelligence in terms of translating evidence
into public health policy through synthesising, appraising, interpreting, and communicating intelligence
that measures the health status, risks, needs and health outcomes of defined populations
• You will writie a report on the epidemiology of a particular cause of mortality or morbidity.
• To do this you need to first identify a suitable that has been studied in one of the two data sources available for the assessment.
• The datasets provided are from the Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE) or the CDC Behavioral Risk Factor
Surveillance System (BRFSS) in the USA.
• You should carry out a literature search using a specific search strategy to identify likely risk factors for your chosen condition and include a brief review of this literature in your report.
• You should choose risk factors that are included as variables in your chosen dataset.
• You will perform appropriate analysis of your chosen secondary dataset using SPSS software to identify the association of your
chosen risk factors with the prevalence of mortality or morbidity that is the focus of your assignment.
• You should compare the results of your analysis with other relevant literature such as the articles included in your literature review.
• You need to provide a critical discussion of the strengths and limitations of the secondary data sources you have used, such as how
the data was collected, by whom, sampling frame, sample size, inclusion/exclusion criteria, population size, missing data, data
manipulation, bias, generalisability.
• Propose evidence-based recommendations to strengthen and/or improve the current prevention and control strategies related to
your chosen condition to reduce its impact on public health in the future.
• Select a topic related to the epidemiology of a particular cause of mortality or morbidity of the disease or condition (e.g. cancer, types 2 diabetes, obesity).
• Use one of the secondary datasets available that relates to your chosen topic.
• Perform an appropriate analysis of the chosen dataset to identify risk factors for the cause of mortality or morbidity of the disease or condition
• Demonstrate the understanding of the strengths, limitations, and weaknesses of the secondary dataset/data sources you have used, e.g., how the data was collected, by whom, sampling frame, sample size, inclusion / exclusion criteria, population size, missing data, data manipulation, bias, and generalisability, including problems and challenges in healthcare.
Reference Style : Harvard