Word Count : 2400 words
1. Demonstrate the following knowledge and understanding :
2. Demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
Your assessment is a 2400 (+/- 10%) word individually written report assessing the attractiveness of a given industry and the distinctiveness of a firm. The essay accounts for 40 % of the total mark.
1. When possible this unit use live case study. In the case no firm can be found, the tutor will provide a list of firms the students can work from
2. Collect information about the company and the industry in which the company evolves. Construct strategic tools that will lead to the analysis performed in your individual report. This task is your research and is not graded. However without the research you will not be able to successfully complete the individual task
3. The Individual Report (2400 words). This submission only will be graded.
The submission will be in the form of a consultant’s report. The exact presentation style will be at your discretion, but should be a professional, business-like report. It should also use Harvard referencing.
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
We will be filling this section in together in class on 00/00/2020 make sure you have downloaded/printed out the Assignment Brief and bring it to the session with you.
1. The analysis:
Use the strategic tools you have designed to develop your analysis. Make sure you focus on the assessment of the attractiveness and distinctiveness. A list of strategic tools will not be accepted
2. The structure:
Flexible. You can describe the theory you intend to use to support your standpoint, and then use practical situations to reinforce your work. There is no fixed order to structure this assignment.
3. The link between theory and practice:
Remember to relate the two together sufficiently! You need to relate the theory to evidence in your assessment. The evidence needs to be specific. Don’t use generalised and anecdotal evidence.
4. Use of literature:
Use academic source, i.e. books, journal articles etc. Refer to respected industry sources DO NOT overuse the Internet, do not use and / or quote from Wikipedia.
You are required to use proper in-text reference and the reference list in the end using the Harvard Referencing System.
5. The writing:
Try to approach this assignment in a logical and systematic way. Make sure you have a logical structure, a convincing argument, clear description of the situations which ‘set the scene’, and clear explanation which relate to theories, and a conclusion that draws your argument together.
Overall, you need to provide a logical and coherent demonstration ( strategic tools, like pestle, 5 forces, value chain etc should only be included in the appendix not the body of the report)
How does assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
Please refer to the study guide, all the session in the first week are designed to introduce you to specifics topic in strategic management. Those elements will be needed to design your assignment.
Week 2 of the block is devoted to data collection and to start structuring your assignment.
Week 3 we will look at your assignment to provide formative feedback before the submission
Reference : Harvard