By the end of this unit a student will be able to:
LO1. Explain the role of marketing and how it interrelates with other functional units in a hospitality organisation.
LO2. Compare ways in which hospitality organisations use elements of the marketing mix (7Ps) to achieve overall business objectives.
LO3. Develop a basic marketing plan to meet marketing objectives for a hospitality organisation.
Assignment Brief and Guidance
Scenario and Activity:
The Board of Directors of a hospitality organisation has recently appointed you as the Assistant Marketing Manager, responding to the latest developments in the industry on a global scale. Your primary responsibility is to devise a marketing strategy that would address
the current challenges faced by the hospitality sector worldwide. This strategy will serve as a comprehensive training resource for incoming marketing trainees. You will also be responsible for formulating a marketing plan for your organisation. You have been asked to write a report that would explain the role of marketing and how it interrelates with other functional units in a hospitality organisation. In the report, you are expected to demonstrate comprehension of the marketing mix and how it is used to achieve business objectives. You are also required to show knowledge of how a basic marketing plan that meets the marketing objectives of a hospitality organisation can be developed.
Your report is expected to cover the following:
• An introduction to services marketing (definitions, characteristics, current, and future trends, marketing concepts, etc.).
• An explanation of the role and responsibilities of marketing functions in the context of a hospitality organisation.
• Analyse the roles and responsibilities of marketing in the context of the marketing environment considering the global challenges in the hospitality industry.
• Discuss how roles and responsibilities of marketing relate to the wider organisational context.
• Analyse the significance of interrelationships between marketing and other functional units within a selected hospitality organisation.
• Critically analyse the key elements of the marketing function and how they interrelate with other functional units within a selected hospitality organisation.
• Explain the 7Ps of the marketing mix.
• Compare how different hospitality organisations apply the marketing mix to to the marketing planning process to achieve business objectives.
• Evaluate different tactics applied by hospitality organisations to demonstrate how business objectives are achieved.
• Produce a basic marketing plan for a hospitality organisation to meet marketing objectives.
• Produce a detailed, coherent, evidence-based marketing plan that applies the marketing mix to meet marketing objectives for a hospitality organisation.
• Design a strategic marketing plan that tactically applies the use of the 7Ps and includes measures for monitoring and evaluation to achieve overall marketing objectives.
Reference style: Harvard