Reflective essay is to facilitate an in-depth engagement with specified components of Sigmund Freud’s theories
The purpose of this reflective essay is to facilitate an in-depth engagement with specified components of Sigmund Freud’s theories. Students will draw on relevant theoretical material and subjective experience to analyse one of their own dreams (referring to Sigmund Freud)
Below topic- engage with the relevant theoretical material in your response.
Explain Sigmund Freud’s comment that dreams provide a ‘first glimpse’ of the processes that take place in the unconscious. Engage with relevant theoretical material and subjective experience to analyse one of your dreams and critically reflect on the application of Freud’s theory. Helpful stimulus questions include, “How did you differentiate between manifest content and latent thoughts?”, “What other devices were evident in your dream?”, and “What are the limitations of Freud’s perspective?” Are there wider applications to his theory of dream interpretation to the therapeutic process?
Your reflective essay should include:
- an overview of the relevant theory
- brief overview of the subjective experience (i.e. dream or negative belief)
- application of the relevant theoretical material to the subjective experience
- critical reflection on the benefits and limitations of applying this theoretical material to the subjective experience
- evidence of familiarity with relevant literature and theory
- evidence of self-awareness and ability to self-reflect