Word Count : 3500 words
- To enable the student to appraise, design, implement and evaluate future orientated plans for interacting with competitive environments from the perspective of tourism and hospitality related organisations and destinations
- To provide the understanding and experience of current strategic thinking and practice which identifies corporate success, excellence, and strategic leadership to contribute to decision making in the tourism and hospitality business arena.
This module assessment will develop skills and abilities in:
- Time management and independent research.
- Critical thinking and writing, through the application of academic and industry sector research.
- Sourcing and evaluating relevant material related to assessment brief.
- Development of in text citations and final reference list through application of RGU Harvard format.
- Written and oral communication within the learning environment.
- Critically appraise the competitive operating environment and understand the impact this will have on strategic choice for contemporary tourism and hospitality related enterprises.
- Critically appraise long-term planning decisions and the potential these hold for tourism and hospitality related organisations to exploit their distinctive competitiveness.
- Critically evaluate the fit, in terms of the design of business planning in the contemporary tourism and hospitality operating environment.
- Synthesise the dynamics of strategic decision making as applied to tourism and hospitality
An individual report consisting of two sections: Strategic Management within the tourism and hospitality sector.
Section 1: Investigate the main elements of strategic management. Identify the key theories and related models and how they can be applied by the wider tourism and hospitality industry. Reference should be made to academic research and industry related sources. Evaluate application to the contemporary tourism and hospitality industry to achieve competitive advantage (Word count : 1500 )
Section 2: Compare and contrast TWO organisations from within one sector of the tourism and hospitality industry from the following list:
- Airlines: For example – Air Asia / Singapore Airlines
- Leisure: For example – National Trust for Scotland / Merlin
- Hospitality: For example – Boutique or Country House independent Hotel and Large Full-service chain Hotel.
- Destination Strategy: For example – Visit Aberdeenshire / Tourism Australia
Critically discuss the key strategic options and relate to achieving and sustaining a competitive strategy. This may be related to post Covid-19 impacts if relevant to the discussion.
Reflect on your findings and develop TWO forward looking recommendations that could be applied over the long term by each selected organisation (TWO per organisation), include supporting justification for the recommendations. (Word count: 2000 )